Friday, April 01, 2011

Francis and the Lights. Holy cow. This is probably both my favorite show and my favorite live music photo of 2011.


Not to be too confusing, but we are now jumping back in time, pre-Iceland.

The first day Bon Jovi played the Garden this year, February 24th, I was already committed to photographing this dude* at Le Poisson Rouge in the West Village. I knew there was a potential conflict, but I also knew that if I didn't go shoot Francis Farewell Starlite of Francis and the Lights now, I might not get to see him in an intimate environment soon, or without too, too much of a crowd. I also knew that Jen Bilec would punch me in the face. Fortunately, all's well that ends well.

The only downside? Running from the Garden's dressing room hallway to the A train to Le Poisson Rouge in the pouring rain. By the time I got to the green room, I was drenched and Francis was looking perfect. My new friend, Nick, of Fenway Recordings introduced me to Francis and we did a quick, five-minute portrait session (below). No time for the elaborate speedlight set-up I had planned, but I think it all turned out just fine. Minor jesting was involved, but to be honest, I was still out of breath from my unplanned jog and a little too focused on getting something I liked. So my sincere apologies to both Nick and Francis.

What happened next? We wrapped and walked out the door to the stage and a sold-out house.

*calling Francis "this dude" is my subtle way of saying "an artist who I've been obsessing over since JB sent me the 'Darling, It's Alright' video."

Francis Farewell Starlite of Francis and the Lights/Le Poisson Rouge/New York, NY/2.24.11

No comments: