Monday, April 04, 2011


After Greg picked me up, we headed back to his house to reassess our game plan for the day. Remember, this was Saturday - basically the last real day of SXSW, so all things had to be planned accordingly.


On the bus, I had made a giant logistical list of all the bands I planned on shooting, so Greg and I pow-wowed and decided the best option was to head to Fader Fort, have a cocktail, check out the scene, then meet Roger at his gig later, prior to the Rival Sons show.

After surveying said scene, I knew there was no way I was going to make it to all the shows I wanted to shoot. My experience in shooting this type of festival prior was meandering around the streets of New York during CMJ. While there are a lot of similarities, particularly when you have to shoot, it is a different beast.

So what did I decide to do? Scratch the plan and go with the flow.

Post-Fader, Greg and I met up with Roger at the Chop Shop/Atlantic Records party at Brush Square Park. It was just a gorgeous day to sit there and listen to the music - camera in one hand, beer in another. Per Roger's suggestion, I broke my perfect atmosphere to get up and shoot a British band called The Joy Formidable.


Ritzy Bryan of The Joy Formidable/Chop Shop-Atlantic Records Party/Brush Square Park/Austin, TX/3.19.11.

No comments: