Monday, March 07, 2011

Did you know that the average age of a Met opera-goer is 65?


After its 2011-12 season preview a few weeks ago, I think the Met has me sold. I want to learn more about opera. I think just by having me regularly attend that gorgeous opera house, it will bump the average age down by at least five years. I'm not even considering the possibility of attending with friends, because I already know that it will never happen... so the Met and I will take our five years and go.

The first time I was ever at the Met was with a lovely young gent in the early spring of 2009. It was all very "A Night at the Opera," as we sat in our seats with a brilliant, boozing professor willing to share both his bag of un-shelled peanuts and his flask. Fortunately for my date, not only did I love being in that venue for the first time, but Marx Brothers' humor kind of works for me.

Following that experience, I didn't return to the Met until October of 2010 when Bon Jovi played the opera house for the annual Baron Conference. This time, I found myself backstage just staring at all the props and set pieces that made up one opera, wondering "how in God's name does all of this move during a performance?"

That's next on the opera to-do list. Go to the opera, stagehand style. Doable? I think so.

Photo: (L-R) Steven Eldredge and David Daniels perform at the Metropolitan Opera's press conference, previewing their 2011-2012 season, in a studio at the Metropolitan Opera House on February 16th, 2011 in New York City.

No comments: