Wednesday, March 16, 2011





After I did my research on this dive, I immediately called the dive shop I had passed earlier.


A lovely young gent named Finni answered the phone:

Hi, I just had a few questions about the Silfra dive.
Yes?
How cold is it reallly?
It is very cold and don't forget, you'll be carrying dive gear to and from the car in the snow.
How far?
About 300 meters.
How cold again?
Really, really cold. The water is 2°C I'm not trying to discourage you, I just want to be honest with you.
I appreciate that, really, I do. I'm going to think about this and call you back. Is that ok? How late can I call you?
About midnight.
Great. I will call you later.

After that conversation, I went whale-watching to have a think. I came back, passed out for a few hours (missing dinner - ugh), woke up around 10:00 p.m. and read that Dive Magazine article. I call Finni at about 10:30 p.m.:

Let's do this.
You sure? I'll be happy to dive with you, but it's a tough first dive for someone who isn't used to a dry suit.
I'm totally sure. How many people will be going diving?
Only you and me.

This was the beginning of a lovely friendship.

All underwater Silfra photos taken by Finni.

No comments: