Monday, March 22, 2010



Psyche Revived by Cupid's Kiss by Antonio Canova, commissioned in 1787.

There are many, many reasons I find this masterpiece much more intriguing than the mystery of art history's favorite lady. Had the museum not been closing by the time we reached this piece, I would have been inclined to walk circles around it in admiration. It is, of course, admiration for the sculptor's craftsmanship and admiration for a physical representation of Apuleius' words describing the love affair of Cupid and Psyche. What makes this sculpture so great, aside from its neoclassical ideas of true love, is that the proper angle escalates the voyeur's emotion. I mean look at the difference in sensuality between the top image and the bottom image. You'd be lying if you looked at that top photo and told me that you didn't wish to be either Cupid or Psyche, embracing or being embraced by whoever it is that looks at you like that. Their eyes are stone (literally!) and they say everything you've ever wanted to say and everything you've ever wanted to hear. I'm not going to lie to you, I'd absolutely like to be Psyche in that top photo.

Psyche, by the way, means spirit, soul, breath, life, animating force and Psyche as a character became the personification of all of the above. Very, very cool.

If you are unfamiliar with the story, Google may be your best bud right now. No need for me to reinvent the wheel!

2 comments:

FRANKO said...

That leaves me breathless. Thank you for sharing.

TP said...

Wow... Um wow...