Wednesday, August 06, 2008


This....

I cannot cross off my list of things to do. In fact, I'm pretty positive it was never actually on that list. Just for the record, these bikes and the gentlemen on them were not kind of awesome, but totally awesome.

And on a completely separate note: over the past 9 months or so I've been experiencing communication overload (as I'm sure everyone has), but it's finally getting to me now. It's absolutely ridiculous that I've been continuing and completing conversations in about 10 (in-person, cell (call and text), Skype, AIM, blog, gmail, gchat, Facebook, Myspace) different ways.

And I really can't do much about it. I mean, face-to-face communication is obviously still the best with the phone in close 2nd, but I can't neglect the fact that I've made my peace with Facebook and Myspace, that Skype is possibly the greatest thing ever for long-distance relationships/friendships/businesses, that AIM is like my favorite pair of slippers that I just can't get rid of, that texting still drives me crazy, but I believe my last monthly text total was 543 (thank you, NYC) and that gchat/gmail has been my love for the better half of a year. And well, the blog is the blog, but that doesn't mean that I like to admit any of the above.

What I would like to know is... where does etiquette come into the picture? Why is it okay to relay meaningful information via a text message or the internet? In light of all of these other options, why has it become so hard and/or intimidating to pick up a telephone or to look someone in the eye?

I mean, come on! I'm not saying to do anything drastically silly like ditching internet communication, but what happened to the glory of snail mail as a form of secondary communication, where the recipient recognizes the time and thought put into such a note? When was the last time any of you guys took the time to write a letter? It's been awhile for me too, but I can say that it's under 3 years.

I should probably stop writing now, but I'd just like to note that I'm confident E.T. wouldn't have text-messaged home and not just because he had awkward fingers.

Most importantly though, I almost ate a whole box of rosemary and olive oil triscuits while writing this. They were delicious.

2 comments:

lucasbuck said...

can anything ever really be KINDA awesome?

Alli Harvey said...

haha, no, I really don't think so. That lil add-in was just in honor of your fondness for the phrase, my friend.

a.k.a. "hello!"