Sunday, March 16, 2008



So I walked into Starbucks in Shadyside a few weeks ago with only my standard expectation of a decent cappuccino and a surprisingly good slice of blueberry coffee cake.

However, I was treated to the pleasure of meeting one of the most reassuring breaths of fresh personality I have encountered in awhile. Walking past the little preparation station, we were softly greeted by one of the employees, who flashed a smile of modest confidence from behind the espresso machine and went back to steaming some milk. As I unwrapped my scarf and took one last gander at the menu (uh, duh, my ritual and sometimes purgatorial "hm, maybe I want something else"), I was still quite enamored with the energy coming from the left corner. This chick had to be cool, perhaps some kind of artist ... and wait, what was she doing brewing espresso at Starbucks?

After Matt and I finished talking shop and got up to leave, we took a detour to the exit by paying our espresso-friend a visit.

Turns out that she is one hell of a talented girl, a musician whom Pittsburgh has certainly never raised before. Her name is Sonji and I think that she's got somethin' goin' on.

In lieu of focusing on my colloquial dangling of prepositions, check out Sonji's jams.

No comments: