Thursday, March 13, 2008



There is nothing better in an architectural photo than linear perfection. I think this photo is pretty close to my definition of that concept, though I can't take complete credit for the shot.

Switch to my History Channel narrator voice:

Constructed in stages from 1892 to 1914, the two main sections were designed by popular Chicago architecture firm D.H. Burnham and Co. Home to Chicago's legendary department store, Marshall Field's, the piece became known around the world for its size and for its delicate atria, including a thirteen-story sky-lit atrium in the northwestern corner (shown above) and five-story Tiffany & Co. mosaic atrium, comprised of 1.6 million pieces of favrile iridescent glass, on the southwestern corner.

Though Marshall Field's was bought out by Macy's and officially renamed "Macy's on State Street" in 2006, all of the original Marshall Field's plates on both the interior and exterior remain intact.

Annnd back to normal me:

I know it seems like it's just a giant Macy's, but anyone who appreciates early nineteenth century architecture really shouldn't miss this anomaly of a department store. Heck, I'm not really a shopper, but I had to explore every floor, though I think it was mainly to check out the different vantage points - orrr that's what I'll tell myself.

For the record, I bought nothing.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just feel like this is right up your alli. [ha]

http://www.thesartorialist.blogspot.com/

-Kelly