Sunday, January 20, 2008




Rat with wings or dinner...

Flying solo to Yung Kee in Central Hong Kong, I've grown quite accustomed to these dinners by myself. It's very difficult to coordinate eating schedules on this ship as everyone keeps very strange working hours, and consequently, very strange living hours. But hey, when culinary expeditions call my name, there's absolutely no refusing. I've certainly noticed the inquisitive glances from other tables, but I think that's because I frequently take pictures of my food. I mean, my chopstick skill level is at about an 8.75 now, so you can just go ahead and rule the "clumsy Caucasian with chopsticks" reason out... thank you very much.

Finding the award-winning menu to be quite enticing, I sat down to an overwhelming selection of Cantonese cuisine. Fresh out of snake soup (just like those appendage-less little creatures...the nerve), I went with a delightful shrimp won-ton soup and Bo Lai (a fermented black tea, most popular in Hong Kong) to accompany this little bird. To end the meal, I ordered a standard Chinese dessert called tong shui, which is (in this case) a sweet red bean soup used to moderate body temperature and regulate the digestive system, or so they say.

For my money (178 HK, about 22 US), I was very satisfied. Pigeon is a bit on the livery side, but believe it or not, it's pretty far down on the list of strange things I've digested since I left the U.S.

No comments: