Tuesday, May 10, 2011

This cross marks the center of the largest Masonic Temple in the world. If you are at all familiar with the practices of Free Masons, you know that each meticulous measurement is often accompanied by significance - be it historical or otherwise.


In Detroit, Aaron and I were fortunate enough to spend a few hours wandering the halls with one of the higher ranking Masons in Detroit. How do these things happen? I just don't know. Aaron apparently knows everybody in Michigan. Yes, that ranges from the people at an "industry" night at a club in Ann Arbor to Masons in Detroit. Both helpful in starkly different situations, of course.

In any case, picking John's brain was fantastic. Heck, I was even surprised I was allowed to go to many of the rooms! Of course, I had to ask about Dan Brown and his exploits of the Masons in his novels, but most of the interesting conversation revolved around Columbus, September 11, 2001 and legal matters of the Masons. None of the aforementioned are connected, but what John had to say was fascinating. While I will not be able to explain as eloquently, I would suggest that you find yourself a Mason and play 20 questions.

I am sad to report that I didn't shoot a photo of the exterior that I found interesting, so please google Detroit's Masonic Temple to see what this beast of a building looks like.

Detroit Masonic Temple/Commandery Asylum ceiling/Detroit, Michigan/4.13.11

No comments: