Wednesday, July 09, 2008


Although our weather wasn't ideal and it was decided that "yinzerworks" truly do kick some butt, celebrating the 4th of July in NYC was fabulous. Committing to waking early to snag a good spot to watch Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest, three of us made the trek down to Coney Island to witness the annual New York spectacle.

As if watching people shovel an incomprehensible amount of hot dogs into their traps at ridiculous speeds wasn't enough, little did we know we were about to witness history. Tied at 59 hot dogs in 10 minutes, contestants Joey Chestnut and Takeru Kobayashi were forced into a 5-dog-speed-eating competition - oh yes, thats right... sudden death! And craziness!

In the end, Chestnut was declared the winner, Luke took better shots than me, all of us rode the famous Wonder Wheel and I received a warm invitation to the Coney Island Polar Bear Club USA, Inc.

All that followed by fireworks from the rooftop of our Brooklyn abode - pretty wonderful.

Oh and I neglected to mention above that I ate a hot dog. Figuring that my usual "um... ick" to the American standard 1. wasn't going to hold any water with that crowd and 2. made absolutely no sense being that I digested an innumerable amount of odd things in Asia, I snarfed that sucker in a pathetic 5 minutes and 18 seconds.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you thought I was crazy when I told you to go to it! :-) You have to do it once...then you understand. That, then fireworks, PRICELESS!

My co-worker Tony's favorite quote from the live TV broadcast:

"The emotions are raw, but the hot dogs are cooked."

Melissa

Shasta Williams said...

I can't believe you watched people in a hotdog eating contest. i'm making a gross face even thinking about it. I would never watch something like that....mostly because of my stupid phobia, but also, cause that's just nasty. haha

Alli Harvey said...

Hahaha 1) excellent quote and

2) Hey Shasta, I know that face!!

Unknown said...

many thanks for seeing the fireworks for me!

Alli Harvey said...

you are quite welcome miss... although a picture doesn't quite take the place of being there, I did what I could!

lucasbuck said...

"In the end,... Luke took better shots than me..."

Just wanted to site this, for the record.

Unknown said...

this is my new hobby:
"Cite"

ok, that's all.

=)

Alli Harvey said...

hahahhahahahahaha.

lucasbuck said...

site (st)
n.
1. The place where a structure or group of structures was, is, or is to be located: a good site for the school.
2. The place or setting of something: a historic site; a job site.
3. A website

I think I could fight the good fight and argue that I meant any ONE of those definitions! But I have to get back to work, so I'll English-fight you later!

Alli Harvey said...

but you used it as a verb! and though it can be a verb, that's not the proper usage.

whatever, this is annoying. you were wrong, nobody's perfect.

point kelly. game over.