Thursday, July 03, 2008

Although Brooklyn offers an ecclectic array of photo opportunities, I've decided to take this first week to strictly observe, which means Baby has remained in the bag since I arrived.

In addendum to this camera T-O, I decided to dig up a photo from an Attack Theatre shoot I did last summer. The purpose behind the session was to come up with a promotional concept for their show Someplace, Not Here (pretty poignant title if you ask me) without really knowing much about the production.

So I had to come up with a photograph, purely by observation of their movements, that would embody that deceivingly simple phrase.

The treasure in this image is the idea of condensed cinema - one, or perhaps many stories in a single image.

All of my images have stories, but most of them are recorded truths, things that have actually occurred. It's not often that a project requires me to create a story, but I think it's incredibly cool to outline characters and then have the viewer color them in. There are no words, there is no diegetic or non-diegetic sound, just one frame and an infinite number of possibilities and perspectives.

I don't know the exact story behind these people, same as you. I don't know where they came from and I don't know where they are going. The truth of the matter is that the art in this photo is not that one storyline exists, but that many are possible. And as all great literature and cinema, the subjects are not as fictional as the word "character" may suggest.

No comments: