Saturday, May 24, 2008


There's a big difference between moments when you know you've got a shot and moments where you know that this could be your money shot. The above photo is one of a series that could have been that shot. I love the rock grit of the picture, but more importantly, I loved the moment and how it happened.

Mr. Small's (my favorite venue since forever) has a tiny, wonderfully dirty little pit which separates the audience from the stage. It generally holds extra equipment, some trash, unknown sticky substances and occasionally an ambitious, young photographer.

So, I'm sitting in this pit, on Luther's side of the stage, just waiting for a mid-song rock out when he comes to the edge of the stage, directly above me, to play to the crowd.

And my general rule of thumb? photog contortion+great subject = magic

Lying on my back, my hair against the filth, one leg out-stretched, the other bent under my butt, I'm determined to get that shot. Luther eventually looks down at me and just starts cracking up at the ridiculousness he sees below. Consequently, I start cracking up too and um, stop shooting?

Stupid girl... That big smile of his looking down was the money shot!

A big booo to me.

Later Luther says, "You know, I was trying to ignore you, but I just couldn't anymore and had to laugh."

Well, I guess I just had to laugh too which is sometimes more important than the shot.

Photo: Luther Dickinson of the North Mississippi Allstars

No comments: