Thursday, November 11, 2010



When I come home from work, I like to take a bit of time to take my brain from Cirque and move it to either my current read or... the greatest channel on Earth.

The other night, I flipped on Palladia around 11:00 p.m. to find selections from Glastonbury 2005, including the above Coldplay performance of "Fix You". While I'm not really enamored with attending festivals, I love building festivals. On top of that, Coldplay certainly doesn't make my top ten must-see bands, but their LD and pyro guys always knock it out of the park.

I just sat there and watched this thinking, "This is why I do this. I've done this exact set and am just as stoked now as I was standing stage left then. Look at how happy those people are. Look how beautiful this is."

But what is it that makes it so spectacular? Light, sound and atmosphere designed to the very last detail - straight from the musician's brain, to the sound engineer's console, to the lighting designer's vision, to the pyro guy's need to blow things up at the appropriate moments.

Creating art, which creates moments, which will create a memory of a distinct emotion that will never be replaced. That's why I do this.

No comments: