Monday, November 08, 2010



If you haven't figured this out already... I love my job. I love the people with whom I work. I may not have much of what most consider a conventional social life - but I guarantee that my definition of social covers more areas than the accepted definition.

No, I don't have a conventional boyfriend, no I don't have a conventional group of girlfriends, no, I don't have a conventional boss. And for some reason, people feel bad for me. For the record, it is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

My job is live music. My job is photography. My job is travel. My job is Madison Square Garden. My job is New York City. I made up this job. I created it out of paper clips and glass. And if there's something I don't like about it; it is my own damn fault.

And still I hear:

"You work seventeen-hour days?! They better be paying you well." "Oh, it must be so hard to date." "You had to do what?" "Don't you ever get lonely?" "Why don't you have any normal pictures on Facebook?" "How does your life work?" "You don't make any sense." "Did you go to school for this?" "I haven't seen you for two weeks... and I live with you." "You're so distant." "How are you ever going to have a family?" "You can't do this forever."

Gosh darn it, people. Whether you've been paying attention to this blog for four years or for four days, you may note the content as somewhat unique. There was no major, there was no internship, there was no grad school. There is, still, just a lot of ambition, imagination and a desire to accomplish by creating my own rules instead of taking someone else's rules as the be-all, end-all, God-given path to success. Sure, it would be nice to add some normal human elements, but I wouldn't trade any of this for the world, because in my estimation, I have the world.

It's funny how things change though. Once upon a time, I thought I had the world. My definition was very different, but equally as important. I was determined not to give it up, but in the end, I did. Very curious how those things happen. Did you have to leave one world to get to the other? Can you be in both worlds at once?

Can I be watching Roger Waters for the 2nd time, camera in hand, at MSG and have someone beside me who is equally as ecstatic to be there for a repeat performance?

Of course, of course, of course. Don't be ridiculous. Who doesn't want to see The Wall?

Photos: Roger Waters/Madison Square Garden/New York, NY/11.6.10

5 comments:

Yana said...

Not all that is ordinary agrees with all that is extraordinary. And not that I am labeling the people in your life banal -- but perhaps their expectations of it. That said, I DO miss you .. yet don't pity the long days you spend getting paid to pursue not one, but two of your passions. ;)

Alli Harvey said...

Ms. Yana, I certainly never, ever pity them. I love absolutely every minute of these days. You know this. Speaking of crazy days, I do need to hear of your most recent travels!

Matt said...

I think what you do is cool. And, I am reminded of a quote..."I am dark and mysterious, and *pissed off*! And I could be very dangerous to all of you! You should know that about me... I am *the enemy*!"

par·al·lel said...

A show I would love to see again.

par·al·lel said...

A show I would love to see again.