Monday, November 09, 2009

One day last January, I was told by a prospective suitor to meet him on the NE corner of 33rd and 7th. He had a surprise belated Christmas present for me and punctuality, not always a strong suit of mine, was moderately crucial. With hair done, slight make-up applied, my best jeans, heeled black boots and a long gray sweater that sits elegantly off the left shoulder, I left my apartment just in time to catch the 2/3 train uptown to meet him.

I walked up the stairs to street level where I saw him standing in his nicely tailored coat. I said his name and he turned. At about 6'5, his linebacker frame wrapped around me with my third step onto the sidewalk - he facing the stairs and I facing Madison Square Garden. I was only present with him for a minute before I realized that I was not at work and yet again, staring at this building. Noticing the glance of my direction, he pulled out two tickets to the Pittsburgh Penguins/New York Rangers game that was about to start in T minus 6 minutes. I wasn't really dressed in my standard hockey garb, but at least I looked presentable.

Still, I jumped on him in excitement and away we went. The important part of this whole thing, however, was the conversation between us following the first period of the game:

"I just absolutely love this place."
"You keep saying that... it looks kind of old and in need of renovation to me."
(Blank stare)
"Well, hun, that's not exactly what I mean. I mean a few things... the history - the events and people that have graced this space. The world's greatest everything! Musicians, athletes, actors, dancers, production people, political figures, photographers, comedians, etc... Whether they were performing here or playing here or just coming to watch some kind of event, they have been here. I mean the effort and precision it takes to run a cat show, a Cirque du Soleil performance and a hockey game all in the same night and then do three totally different events tomorrow!"
"I think we're next in line for ice cream, what would you like?"
(Blank stare)
"Mint-chocolate-chip, please."

The Pens didn't score a goal that night, but I realized something very important. That I was in love with an environment. An environment that, with a year's passing, has now become a home, family included. Over the two days of Rock and Roll Hall of Fame shows, I watched the entire U2 set from stage right. I watched multiple performers from a legendary generation of music from every angle that venue has to offer. I got to see and hug my favorite and one of the best stage managers (DMB/Stones/Sinatra/etc.) out there. I got to quote Almost Famous within context multiple times. I watched the front row jump up and down yelling for Bono, yelling for Bruce, yelling for... Mick. I was in a one-of-a-kind position with people I love, yet again. Doesn't matter that it wasn't the best angle to shoot a show. I was home.

Photo: Stage right at the Garden for U2's set. U2's lead guitar, the Edge closest with Bono center stage.

2 comments:

FRANKO said...

Oh! (Tears in my eyes...happy ones obviously :)

I can SO picture the look on your face in that moment. Mint chocolate chip indeed.

M

PS - Does Edge own ANY other shirts?

PPS - I heard a rather hilarious story involving Art Garfunkel backstage at that show...I will need confirmation! Does "tissue" mean anything to you? :)

Alli Harvey said...

Hahahahaha! Answer1: No, I checked his wardrobe and Answer2: I don't know about tissue, but I can tell you another story about Mr. Garfunkel and the phrase "bitch slap" from night one.