Tuesday, December 01, 2009



I usually make no mention of this, but as some of you know, it was my birthday yesterday. Furthermore, I had a completely different blog for today until late last night when a string of stanza-ed text messages came rolling through from one of my favorite dudes out on the road.

Ladies and gents, my absolute favorite birthday present of 2009:

One summer afternoon I met Alli in PA.
She picked me up, even though I was out of her way.


Then we had to part for quite awhile
,
And were separated by much more than a mile.


But we'd soon reunite in a city farther east
,
And enjoy together an authentic Chinese feast.


Then back to her apartment she would bring me,

But it was only so I could assemble her Wii.


And when I proved undoubtedly inept,

Remarkably still her patience she kept.


So that's how I know Alli is sweet and kind,

And not just another superb behind.


Now I hope we'll hang out whenever we can,

And I promise I'm better at working things made in Japan.


- Bryan Strickland, tour manager/photographer/poet/class-A friend

Even if he's lying about the sweet, kind, behind part, the rest is awesome and true. From working my first big show in Pittsburgh to late night adventures in Chinatown to Mario Cart in my apartment to DMB catering at Fenway, we've managed to grow a wonderful friendship, which can be hard to do in the music business. I think it's frickin' great. Contrary to my usual stance, I give communication technology a big thumbs up for this one.

Photo 1: Bry's cover shot for DMB's Live Trax (Lisbon) vol. 10 album
Photo 2: Bryan!

2 comments:

Diane said...

Very cool ode to friendship!

Alli Harvey said...

That's what I thought too! :)