Monday, July 20, 2009

It's either a blog excerpt from a wonderful friend (no image) or reportage/definition of "shower" from my weekend with Warped Tour (image... ehhhh...). I wisely choose the former:


...and then one day i called him on my way to
montana. he asked where i was and i said, "i'm headed to montana." and he said, "when'd you decide that?" and i said, "yesterday. also, i cut off 13 inches of my hair." and there was a long pause.. which i took as an indication as him wanting an explanation.. so i began:

"see, dad.
dr.riley came up to me and asked me if i'd be willing to leave tomorrow and go to montana and work there for a month or so. so i said, 'sure' and then i needed to cut off my hair because i'm living in a tent for a month and that just made sense. but i donated it to locks of love. so i have that going for me..."

and that was where it hit me. literally, right then and there. and i continued,

"see, father figure (this is what i like to call my dad when he's being snotty), i am not victim to an interventionist god. i may be opinionated and passionate and annoyingly
optimistic and/or depressing -- depending on the day -- but.. i always say yes. that's why i've gotten so many opportunities. cause i work my ass off and then i say yes, even if i know i'm going to fail."

which was when he broke in, "sorry.. i had to click over to the other line. your mother is in the ER because she accidentally cut off two of her fingers with the hedge trimmer. she's okay though. don't worry. have fun in
montana, i've got to run."

that bastard.

but seriously, i think it would be giving myself far too much credit if i said
i've ever had a dream, a vision, or a calling. i also think it's a bit haphazard to say that my life is a product of an interventionist god.

my life is a product of disaster, success, injury, insult, love, passion, wandering around lost, dancing in the rain, falling down a lot, calculated risk, heartache, and hard work. but mostly, my life has come to be the result of me saying yes.

have you ever read the book Being There? it's all about this same concept. it's about 100 pages long too, so no excuses. (play like a champion.)

west wing, my favorite
tv show of all time, ingrained into my head that decisions are made by the people who show up.

i believe my life is a product of showing up.


Ladies and gents, the author of above excerpt is Ms. Caroline Evey and you should know three things: 1) She's known to me simply and only as "Evey" 2) We grew to be great friends in our "Philosophy of Political Liberalism" class (and another "eco" class I choose to forget) freshmen year of college and 3) She's got a lot to say.

Read her blog.

No comments: