Monday, September 08, 2008

Let's talk about a few things here:

1. Have you ever had a place that literally, every time you walk in, you find someone new and interesting to talk to? I must say, I'm not a regular at many places for the obvious reasons, but both Dish and the Shadow Lounge consistently offer grand stories and epic personalities. Now, these establishments are almost night and day, but strangely enough, can have very similar vibes, just by the types of people they attract... which is still night and day, but of equal caliber.

Haha, I bring so many bands/people into Dish that by now I should be earning commission, whereas with the Lounge, I feel like I should be shelling out more just for the sheer fact that it exists.

2. Unlike the trend that it is to hate the words "moist" and "panties," I squirm when the words "potential" and "connection" are used in an emotional context.

A) If something has potential within a sentimental context, there's more than 1 reason why it isn't working. Example: "I love this project, because it just has so much potential."

B) If you have to tell someone how you feel by claiming there is a connection, please read the dictionary or even better, step outside, whether it takes 30 seconds out the back door or 3 months in Russia, and come back with a spark of originality. Example: "After all this time, isn't it strange how we have such a connection?"

Cue eyebrow raise.

3. Sometimes detours are just what you need. Quite literally.

The Liberty Tunnels were closed last night on my way home from the lounge and really, it was pretty late and all I wanted to do was get to my bed. Perhaps on another day, Paul and Art's prior 20-minute serenade of lyrical genius would have been enough, but it just wasn't working out that way. So, naturally, if you can't go through the mountain, ya gotta go over the mountain. Over the mountain, of course requires a drive past the overlooks, which allow for arguably the best views of the Burgh's skyline.

So I parked, walked out to the overlook, and just looked and listened for awhile. City lights, the breeze, illumination of all three rivers, the 50 different sounds of a train... Normally all of these overlooks are filled with families and couples, but it was late on a Sunday night and I was the only soul out there. In retrospect, it's probably a good thing because I was leaning over the railing like Rose was leaning over the bow of the Titanic. Endings weren't on my mind, but the universal prospect of beginning and the sheer wonder that this whole city was built by generations of hands. My thought process was then onto the progression and regression of man in general, but we'll save that one for a rainy day.

Pittsburgh takes a lot of crap, mostly out of ignorance, but there is so much to this city. I'm not going to generalize and say that everyone who grew up here has a strong, steady work ethic or that everyone knows what family and friendships mean or that they value every second of life, but I would like to. I would like to, but I would be lying.

I was planning on a "4.", but I think that's enough out of me. I will just say, that this city taught me a hell of a lot.


Photo: T-Funk, Shadow Lounge Sage/Transcendent bassist for no less than 4830423 bands.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

perfect homie. perfect.

Anonymous said...

will you never tire of exposing my all-too-embarrassing inability to not blush when someone mentions the word "moist"?

[triple negatives equal a single negative]

Alli Harvey said...

I really don't understand the popular aversion to moist.

What would Betty Crocker and Duncan Hines do if they didn't have the word moist?

"Mmmmm, wow, just wow. This cake is so deliciously clammy!"

Anonymous said...

hahah "potential"