Tuesday, July 13, 2010

If you ever had the desire to know what a major compressed stage build in a Canadian stadium during a rainstorm at 1:00 a.m. MST looked like, welp, I'm glad I could assist.

So let's talk about what's happening here. A compressed build is when the production team decides to hire two crews to complete a build, only stopping, really, to follow union meal rules and change-out crews. In our case, the stage itself, without any tour audio/video, will take 36 hours (hopefully) straight through to complete. That being said, there are two of me... or two of Jordan... as well. In theory, Jordan takes 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. and I take 8 p.m. to 8 a.m., but everyone knows you will come earlier or stay longer than your assigned shift. Just part of the gig.

That being said, you are either thinking one of two things: 1. Wow that must suck or 2: That's a great shift for Alli! For all of you in group one, it is quite the contrary to sucking. I am the only one in this "office" (see below) right now. It's only 1 a.m. MST and I'm cold and soaking wet, but it doesn't really matter because I have a hot cup of tea and Pearl Jam playing on our mobile speakers. I found a fire blanket in the closet and am using that to hold in some body heat - all good, but am wishing I would have brought the hair dryer from the hotel. I watch the rain come down on the guys and all I want to do is run down there and bring them all chicken soup. While I watch them put this monstrous stage together piece-by-piece, all I can think is that these men are men. Just two days ago, this same job was being done in 104 degrees at New Meadowlands Stadium in East Rutherford, NJ and they were fine. Now, it's raining very chilly cats and dogs in northern Alberta and everyone is still working at normal pace. Everyone is ok. No whining, no complaining.

Professionals.

For all of you in group two, you are indeed correct. This is a great hour of the day for me.

No comments: