Saturday, February 28, 2009


Faith is a funny thing. You can look at something and just know that it's right, even if it doesn't seem to be at first glance. Now, sometimes, motivation for keeping that faith is found in the most obvious, but happenstance places. In my case? It's been a few things: people, music, photos. I've had a song on repeat for the last 45 minutes and can't help but smile and shake my head at the decimal-point miscalculations I've made. Hey, don't judge, I was never very good with numbers.

I have the lightest feeling in the world, like falling in love all over again, but with something that I've had all along. It's a well-known fact that I frequently reside in my own world, causing me to sometimes not pay so much attention to what people are trying to tell me. What? Me? Not listening?

You're shocked. I know.

You can't put a measurement, a time limit on things of extraordinary value. There's no time bomb, there's no expiration date, and for that matter, there's no expectation. I wrote most of this late last night, but there was no deadline on the posting of this either. Good idea? Bad idea? Whatever. I don't really care. You can't demand things. People make mistakes and I made a pretty huge one. I'm afraid there's nothing I can do to take that back, but it was me who was wrong. Thank God I'm neurotic enough to have kept words I said tucked away, or I don't know that I would have been smart enough to figure this out.

Catching your faith waver is quite scary, but putting it back where it should be is strangely comforting. I don't even care what happens next; I just finally listened to the words being said over and over to me and took notice at how boldly I had ignored them - out of interest in my own, trivial agenda.

If all that I gain out of this piece is to cognitively have the ability to re-align faith, then that's great. If all that you gain out of this piece is to know that it truly is possible to re-align faith, that's great.

As this song continues on repeat, I laugh at myself for being such an idiot. With another smile and shake of my head, I still will say that I've never had more faith in my life.

Photo: One of my random, solo walks through the streets of New York - the birds perching on the left creating a stationary frame, blending with the buildings, for the ones already taking flight in a brightly urban winter sky.

No comments: