Friday, January 04, 2008



I think I need to say, despite my doubt, that this ship really did New Year's Eve well. The party and fashion show, held in Saigon, were quite beautiful with over 1,500 people in attendance.

The story of my NYE is not so much entertaining as a severe reality check for me, one that has been such a long time coming. I was already in a less-than-chipper mood, which could have possibly been the less direct cause of some minor disagreements with the head of production, but the result of that argument was what I ended up enjoying the most.

Because I lost the battle, I was sent outside the ship to take photos of arriving guests on the red carpet. I was being snobby and didn't want to play snap-shooter, until I realized that there was a beautiful string quintet playing just outside the ship.

As I waited for guests, I made friends with the musicians, as I seem to have a knack for doing, and had a grand old time... for about an hour I had my own live set - anything I wanted to hear. This was great because it reminded me of my music life back at home, which was just what I needed as I had been going through Damnwell, Clark and Jon Check withdrawal. I miss the boys. I miss hitting the road with whoever asks me, whenever they ask me.

So in true New Year fashion and realizing that I've exceeded everything I said I was going to do up until this point, I've decided that if I can't unpack my very little, but ever present, nonsensical, retroactive baggage, it's getting tossed overboard. Pardon my Visayan, but fuck it. Life looks too good, too fresh from where I am standing... which at the moment, is Sanya, China.

No comments: